Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Cheap and Easy Cheese Crackers


HevenlyHomemakers.com just posted a recipe for crispy cheese crackers. She suggested they would be a great alternative to Goldfish crackers. Now, my kids LOVE those little fish, but I hardly ever buy them. They seem overpriced, and I have a bad habit of eating them all when the kids aren't looking!

I spent $1.74 for a package of whole grain fish a few months ago, because they were on sale for $2.49 and I had a coupon for $0.75 off. The entire package weighed 180g. That means I paid $0.97 per 100 grams.

This dough for this recipe took the time it takes to preheat the oven to throw together, 15 minutes to bake and another 15 -30 minutes with the oven turned off to crisp up.

The most expensive part of this recipe was the cheese, which cost me about $0.63. All together, this recipe cost me $1.25, given that all ingredients were purchased using my stocking up method. The final weight of the crackers was 280g. That means these crackers cost $0.43 per 100 grams.

So for less than half the price, I have a quick, easy, homemade cracker, made with 100% whole wheat flour. And the kids love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment