Thursday, May 21, 2009

Growing Food: Potatoes

The idea that you can grow 100 lbs of potatoes in 4 square feet sounded impressive, but we decided to go with the original plan and use the garbage pail method.

I know I said it was going to be my project, but it just didn't work out that way. My husband did a great job putting this together from an old garbage pail (and even took photos for me!). I will just have to keep an eye on my pail and add more soil when needed. I am excited to see how many pounds of potatoes we get from the three we started with!





Our seed potatoes came from a bag of regular eating potatoes that had started to grow in the cold cellar. I am glad we will get good use out of them!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post. I already planting potatoes so I will have to see about building up a box around the plants once they start growing. I remember my dad saying that you need to pile more dirt around potatoes when they are growing but I didn't know why... now I do.

    ReplyDelete